Cool Facts Of The Day
Various cool facts of the day. Enjoy!!!
Did You Know:
- The only way to stop the pain of the flathead fish's sting is by rubbing the same fish's slime on the wound it gave you.
- The term "Mayday" used for signaling for help (after SOS), it comes from the French term "M'aidez" which is pronounced "MayDay" and means, "Help Me"
- A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
- Vincent Van Gogh sold exactly one painting while he was alive, Red Vineyard at Arles.
- The most sensitive finger is the forefinger.
- A penguin only has sex twice a year.
- A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
- It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.
- Top English soccer club Liverpool were formed because their local enemies, Everton, couldn't pay the rent for their stadium. Therefore Liverpool took over at the stadium (Anfield) and became England's top soccer team ever.
- In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
- Elvis had a twin brother named Jesse Garon, who died at birth, which is why Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron; in honor of his brother.
- S.O.S. doesn't stand for "Save Our Ship" or "Save Our Souls" -- It was just chosen by an 1908 international conference on Morse Code because the letters S and O were easy to remember and just about anyone could key it and read it, S = dot dot dot, O = dash dash dash
- The "ZIP" in Zip Code stands for "Zone Improvement Plan."
- A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
- To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
- Every two thousand frowns creates one wrinkle.
- A group of officers is called a mess.
- The nursery rhyme Ring Around the Rosey is a rhyme about the plague. Infected people with the plague would get red circular sores ("Ring around the rosey..."), these sores would smell very badly so common folks would put flowers on their bodies somewhere (inconspicuously), so that it would cover the smell of the sores ("...a pocket full of posies..."), People who died from the plague would be burned so as to reduce the possible spread of the disease ("...ashes, ashes, we all fall down!").
I hope you have found the Cool Facts Of The Day enlightening !!!
Return from Cool Facts Of The Day To Home Page