Random facts For The Day . . .
Various Random Facts For The Day. Enjoy !!!
Did You Know:
- Only 1/3 of the people that can twitch their ears only one at a time.
- "Xmas" does not begin with the Roman letter X. It begins with the Greek letter "chi," which was used in medieval manuscripts as an abbreviation for the word "Christ" (xus = christus, etc.)
- The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
- Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
- In the great fire of London in 1666 half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured
- The term the "Boogey Man will get you" comes from the Boogey people,who still inhabit an area of Indonesia. These people still act as pirates today and attack ships that pass. Thus the term spread "if you don't watch out the Boogey man will get you."
- Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries.
- One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition. It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.
- The music group Simply Red is named because of its love for the football team, Manchester United, who have a red home strip.
- A byte, in computer terms, means 8 bits. A nibble is half that: 4 bits. (Two nibbles make a byte!)
- A full seven percent of the entire Irish barley crop goes to the production of Guinness beer.
- If you toss a penny 10000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.
- Chicago is closer to Moscow than to Rio de Janeiro.
- The little bags of netting for gas lanterns (called 'mantles') are radioactive--so much so that they will set of an alarm at a nuclear reactor.
- "Speak of the Devil" is short for "Speak of the Devil and he shall come". It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention. That's why when your talking about someone and they show up people say "Speak of the Devil"
- Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older
- Police dogs are trained to react to commands in a foreign language; commonly German but more recently Hungarian or some other Slavic tongue.
- Each unit on the Richter Scale is equivalent to a power factor of about 32. So a 6 is 32 times more powerful than a 5! Though it goes to 10, 9 is estimated to be the point of total tetonic destruction (2 is the smallest that can be felt unaided.)
- Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
- Cockroaches' favorite food is the glue on envelopes and on the back of postage stamps
I hope you have learned something new from the above random facts for the day.
Return From Random Facts For The Day To Home Page