Did You Know Facts . . .
Various did you know facts. Enjoy !!!
Did You Know:
- Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
- The United States government keeps its supply of silver at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY
- The three largest land-owners in England are the Queen, the Church of England and Trinity College, Cambridge.
- The Boston University Bridge (on Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts) is the only place in the world where a boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane.
- It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.
- The top layer of a wedding cake, known as the groom's cake, traditionally is a fruit cake. That way it will save until the first anniversary.
- The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat", which means "the king is dead".
- When a coffee seed is planted, it takes five years to yield it's first consumable fruit.
- The common goldfish is the only animal that can see both infra-red and ultra-violet light.
- There are only three animals with blue tongues, the Black Bear, the Chow Chow dog and the blue-tongued lizard.
- The pupil of an octopus' eye is rectangular.
- The word "modem" is a contraction of the words "modulate, demodulate."
- Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time.
- Sheriff came from Shire Reeve. During early years of feudal rule in England, each shire had a reeve who was the law for that shire. When the term was brought to the United States it was shortned to Sheriff.
- The name Jeep came from the abbreviation used in the army for the "General Purpose" vehicle, G.P.
- Soweto in South Africa was derived from SOuth WEst TOwnship.
- Great Britain was the first county to issue postage stamps. Hence, the postage stamps of Britain are the only stamps in the world not to bear the name of the country of origin. However, every stamp carries a relief image or a silhouette of the monarch's head instead.
- Since 1896, the beginning of the modern Olympics, only Greece and Australia have participated in all Games.
- Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for Ronald Reagan.
- It takes a lobster approxiamately seven years to grow to be one pound.
I hope you have improved your knowledge from the above did you know facts.
Return From Did You Know Facts To Home Page
NOTE: If you would like to add comments on the above article or if you have any personal opinions and your own interesting facts, we would be grateful and honored if you shared them in the "comment" section below.